[Biopython-dev] Future of Bio.PDB

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 19 16:41:28 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 4:35 PM, David Cain <davidjosephcain at gmail.com> wrote:
> I frequently make use of Bio.PDB, and agree wholeheartedly that certain
> aspects of it are very dated, or haphazardly organized.
>
> The module as a whole would benefit greatly from some extra attention. I'm
> happy to lend a hand in whatever revamp takes place.
>
> David Cain
> +1 (339) 222 4452

Very true, and thanks for the offer.

If we go with the parallel namespace option (Bio.Struct, Bio.structure or
similar) then we can stick an experimental warning on it and include it
as a 'beta' module within the next release (while continuing to keep
Bio.PDB fully backward compatible for now, with the likely goal of
a formal deprecation in future).