[Biopython-dev] Introducing setup tools for building wheels

Schmitt Uwe (ID SIS) uwe.schmitt at id.ethz.ch
Fri Dec 12 12:01:28 UTC 2014

Am 12.12.14 12:29 schrieb "Peter Cock" unter <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com>:

>On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Schmitt  Uwe (ID SIS)
><uwe.schmitt at id.ethz.ch> wrote:
>> Dear all,

>> I modified BioPythons setup.py locally so that it uses
>> setuptools  instead of distutils. This enables the creation
>> of Python wheels which I prefer especially on Windows:
>> wheels can be installed in virtualenvs which is not
>> possible with the existing Windows installer.
>>
>> Is there some discussion about this ? I might contribute
>> a pull request for my modifications.
>
>Oh not the Python packaging rabbit hole :(
>
>If you can modify setup.py to use setuptools WITHOUT
>requiring it, so we don't need people to have setuptools
>in order to install Biopython from source, that seems
>worthwhile.

I can try to implement a fallback to distutils if
setuptools is not found.

My changes are not yet in a separate branch, I just
tested some modifications and was able to create a Windows
wheel for a colleague. Before I wanted to check if
my changes break anything or have some other unwanted
consequences I wanted to ask here as I did now.

So I will prepare a pull request,

Regards, Uwe