[Biopython-dev] Introducing setup tools for building wheels

Schmitt Uwe (ID SIS) uwe.schmitt at id.ethz.ch
Fri Dec 12 11:14:24 UTC 2014

Dear all,

I’m new to this list and only checked the email archive for
november and december 2014. So this request might be obsolete.

I modified BioPythons setup.py locally so that it uses
setuptools  instead of distutils. This enables the creation
of Python wheels which I prefer especially on Windows:
wheels can be installed in virtualenvs which is not
possible with the existing Windows installer.

Is there some discussion about this ? I might contribute
a pull request for my modifications.

As this influences the build process: Do you use
a continous integration server for testing this ?

Kind Regards,
Uwe.