[Biopython-dev] landscape.io

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 2 16:29:01 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 4:21 PM, Tiago Antao <tra at popgen.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Dec 2014 16:04:37 +0000
> Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Have you used this service on other projects? Was it worthwhile?
>
> I think it is good because it keeps one informed - near-realtime -  of
> changes (so one receives an email every once and a while with
> improvements/declines) and allows to have a view of the main problems.
>
> It has a problem though (as you found): not Python 3 compliant. It is a
> bit of a bugger (especially for us that like P3). But even in that case
> it outputs usable results.

I didn't realise it was not (yet) Python 3 compliant, but since our
code (except Bio._py3k) should work on both Python 2 and 3 that
is fine.

> The cost/benefit ratio is massive: no cost to install (just create the
> area on landscape.io) and thats it.
>
> Tiago

Since this only needs the (hidden) file .landscape.yaml added
to our repository as per your pull request that isn't a problem:
https://github.com/biopython/biopython/pull/437

There is also the time cost in looking at the output (and deciding
what to ignore and what to act on), and the potential negatives
of a public report says there are "code smells" in Bio.XXX ;)

I had a look at their FAQ but it doesn't really explain how
this works for GitHub organisation accounts like Biopython:
https://landscape.io/pages/faq