[Biopython-dev] Biopython update talk at BOSC 2014

Wibowo Arindrarto w.arindrarto at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 08:46:36 UTC 2014

Hi Peter, everyone,

> Thanks for handling this Bow, and I'm sorry I didn't see the emails
> while I was away - thank you to Eric, Tiago and anyone else who
> had commented directly.

Happy to help :).

> Regarding (1), authorship: Bow is presenting, so I think he should
> be first author and corresponding author. But Tiago has raised
> an important point:
>
> Past BOSC talk authorship has been largely unplanned - often
> just named presenter and anyone directly contributing to the
> talk slides. Last year I'd just put Peter Cock et al. which was not
> very explicit. We could and perhaps should use something
> like "W. Arindrarato, ... and the Biopython Consortium" or
> "Team" or "Contributors"?
>
> (The phrase "Biopython Consortium" is what it says on our
> PyPy page, but it sounds very formal to me.)

I have no strong preference for this, but "Biopython developers" seems more
appealing and appropriate than "Biopython consortium" I think. If not
developers,
perhaps "Biopython contributors" is ok.

> Regarding (2), yes - assuming the reviewers don't reject the
> abstract completely (which would be a shock!), we will have
> a chance to revise the abstract. This is usually to address
> reviewers' comments, but for the project update talks it helps
> ensure that the abstract is as up to date as possible.

Ok, I'll post the latest updates on our abstract along the way then.
Having it up to date makes sense ~ which reminds me of something Peter
mentioned some emails ago: do we have date target on releasing 1.64?.

Cheers,
Bow