[Biopython-dev] Python_MKT

Zheng Ruan zruan1991 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 15:07:01 UTC 2013

Hi Juraj,

It's good to hear that you plan to do that. A big advantage of using
Biopython module is to make your MKT test more integrated with existing
functions. This can be helpful to design pipeline within Biopython. What I
would also try is to use the Bio.Data.CodonTable so that user can specify
genetic code of their gene of interest.

I think there are situations where you are not able to minimize synonymous
and non-synonymous, and non-synonymous substitutions at the same time. If I
understand your point correctly, multi_short_path() function tries to find
the least synonymous and non-synonymous substitutions from a set of paths
that all holds minimum non-synonymous substitutions, right? In this case,
for example when you have 10 different codons at hand, you can first start
from each codon and build a minimum spanning tree. And then you expect at
most 10 minimum spanning trees, all with equal number of minimum
non-synonymous substitutions. Finally, you can pick the tree with least
overall substitutions (non-synonymous and synonymous) from the set of
trees. I don't expect the algorithm to cost more than 2000 lines. Maybe we
can discuss this more after I finish coding this weekend. Thanks!

Best,
Zheng Ruan