[Biopython-dev] Compiling on modern windows (recent mingw)

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue May 28 14:09:40 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 1:04 PM, Tiago Antão <tiagoantao at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> For now does the hack of editing Lib\distutils\cygwinccompiler.py yourself
>> get it to work? I could live with that on the build slave, coupled with a
>> warning in our install documentation for the brave people self-compiling
>> under Windows.
>
> I have hacked my distutils implementation. It compiled OK.

That's encouraging.

> That being said, there seems to be some problems with Bio.Applications on
> win8:
> http://testing.open-bio.org/biopython/builders/Windows%208%20-%20Python%202.7/builds/12/steps/shell/logs/stdio

Could you confirm output sys.platform is "win32" still?

I've got a hunch that spaces in the executable path might explain
some of these failures - I'm trying a patch for that here.

Some of the other failures appear to be down to newline differences
(the \r in some of the output suggests this). Here we can probably
use universal new lines mode for file input, but I am puzzled why
these pass under Windows XP with an older mingw32 or the
Intel compiler.