[Biopython-dev] Abstract for "Biopython Project Update" at BOSC 2013

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Mon May 6 11:23:24 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 9:47 AM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 1:43 AM, Eric Talevich <eric.talevich at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The abstract looks good to me. Which release was the first to include
>> SearchIO, was that 1.61? If so, maybe it would be good to note that in
>> addition to the smaller improvements, SearchIO specifically was (one of?)
>> the new module(s) that introduced the beta designation.
>>

> Yes, SearchIO was included in Biopython 1.61, but you're right that
> could be made a bit clearer.

The Biopython update has been accepted for a 10 minute talk slot at
BOSC (anyone else with an abstract submitted should have had an
email by now), the reviewers' feedback was short and positive:

  (A) Keep it short and show the variety of active sub-projects and
     people involved and the presentaion will will be attractive to the
     audience. The last year's talk is a good example (based on the
     shared slides).

(Last year it was Eric at BOSC 2012 in Long Beach, CA - well done)

(B) Nice to see latest news on BioPython and future directions of one
    of the most popular OpenBio project.

(C) This talk reports an update on the BioPython project (support for
     experimental codes, Python 3 compatibility, SearchIO and genomic
     variant formats). BioPython is one of the central projects of O.B.F
     and its update is worth getting some attention at BOSC.

We have until June to revise our abstract - so perhaps we should
do the next release this month in May ;)