[Biopython-dev] Lazy-loading parsers, was: Biopython GSoC 2013 applications via NESCent

Alex Leach albl500 at york.ac.uk
Thu May 2 09:08:23 UTC 2013

On Thu, 02 May 2013 09:14:04 +0100, Zhigang Wu <zhigang.wu at email.ucr.edu>
wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> The idea of taking advantage of multiprocessing is great. I haven't
> touched this kind of thing before and I think >it's going to be cool to
> integrate into the project.

Pleasure.

Multiprocessing is quite a large topic, and the relevant library
documentation also rather large[1-2]. If you haven't worked with
multiprocessing before, it will probably take a long while before you're
comfortable using the libraries involved. So if you were to mention it in
the proposal, I'd keep it out of the core objectives, as you have a lot
else on your plate, already. Don't know if anyone else has any thoughts on
this, though?

I could potentially help to provide some pointers, so if you have any
questions I might be able to help with, please feel free to ask.

Kind regards,
Alex

[1] - http://docs.python.org/2/library/multiprocessing.html
[2] - http://docs.python.org/2/library/threading.html