[Biopython-dev] Project ideas for GSoC (or other student projects)

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 21 17:29:44 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 6:29 PM, Wibowo Arindrarto
<w.arindrarto at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> It's more or less a 'low hanging fruit', but I've been thinking
> perhaps it may be useful if we have our own interface to the HMMER3
> online service? The corresponding SearchIO parsers may be written for
> this as well (they return different formats for which we haven't any
> parsers currently).

Worth adding to the projects list here (or filing an enhancement bug)
http://biopython.org/wiki/Active_projects#Project_ideas - but not
enough to base a whole GSoC project around.

> And I think there are more things being worked on, not yet mentioned
> in the wiki:
>
> 1. Porting our docs to Sphinx[1]
> 2. Converting some/all of the print and compare tests to unit tests.
> For example, our Bio.Seq's tests are still print and compare tests.
>
> regards,
> Bow
>
> [1] See the original feature request here:
> https://redmine.open-bio.org/issues/3221
> https://redmine.open-bio.org/issues/3220
> https://redmine.open-bio.org/issues/3219

I don't think a purely documentation focused project is eligible
for GSoC. But both ideas make sense separately from GSoC.

Regards,