[Biopython-dev] flex, setup.py and Bio.PDB.mmCIF (Bug 2619)

Michiel de Hoon mjldehoon at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 9 01:42:23 UTC 2013

Hi Lenna,

--- On Thu, 2/7/13, Lenna Peterson <arklenna at gmail.com> wrote:
> If
 there are well-defined problems with the PLY parser, I can work on
> fixing them. I am not currently working with mmCIF so I am not in the
> best position to evaluate where and how the parser needs to be improved.

I don't know of any problems with the PLY parser, but since it relies on PLY, it would add another dependency to Biopython. On the other hand, a pure-Python solution may be preferable, as it's easier to maintain and runs with Jython. The C implementation is considerably faster, but I doubt that it really matters since the Python (PLY) parser seems to be fast enough.

I see three options then:
1) Remove the lex stuff from lex.yy.c, and optionally convert the remaining C code to Python.
2) Remove the PLY dependency from the PLY-based parser.
3) Write a new pure-Python parser from scratch.

I'm guessing that 1) will be the most straightforward. Other opinions?

Best,
-Michiel.