[Biopython-dev] Bugzilla --> RedMine --> GitHub issues?

Wibowo Arindrarto w.arindrarto at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 17:48:09 UTC 2013

>> PS: I'd have replied on the bug tracker, but for some reason I can't
>> log in again, even after resetting the password. For some reason
>> redmine hates me.
>>

> Biopython used to use Bugzilla, at http://bugzilla.open-bio.org/
> (it was left as a read only legacy listing, but it broke last year when
> the old server started to die and isn't really worth fixing).
>
> This was moved over to RedMine, along with all the other OBF
> projects. This does have some git integration, but I'm not that
> taken with it - and it is yet another service for the OBF team
> to maintain.
>
> What do people think of moving over to using GitHub issues?
> This would link in very well with pull requests and makes linking
> to commits much simpler too. One potential issue is if and how
> we could have bug reports sent to the biopython-dev mailing list
> (something we touched on recently for pull requests).
>
> A full automated move could be possible (NumPy did this), but I
> think a gradual move would be fine - stop filing new issues on
> RedMine and use GitHub issues in future. There are only about
> 100 issues open at the moment anyway, and a manual migration
> would also be a good way to review some of the older tickets.
>
> Thoughts?,

Moving to GitHub sounds good to me. I'd prefer if we go over the
issues manually (removing the obsolete ones and keeping the current
ones).

As per the bug reports sending to the mailing list, could we perhaps
create our own custom hooks? e.g. anytime a pull request is issued, an
email would be sent (see https://github.com/github/github-services and
http://developer.github.com/v3/repos/hooks/#create-a-hook)

Regards,
Bow