[Biopython-dev] Deprecating Bio.ParserSupport, Bio.Blast.NCBIStandalone

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 1 12:14:49 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 11:23 AM, Michiel de Hoon <mjldehoon at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Bow,
>
> Yes, that is correct.
> Responding to Peter's email: Peter, do you agree with this approach?
>
> Best,
> -Michiel.

No. I think we have misunderstood each other on the doctest
discussion :(

If we keep the test files under Tests/ (and I think that is best)
then for example look at this doctest in Bio/SeqRecord.py

        >>> from Bio import SeqIO
        >>> record = SeqIO.read(open("Fasta/sweetpea.nu"),"fasta")
        >>> len(record)
        309

That is currently written to assume it is run from the Tests/
folder. If we write this assuming is it in the Bio/ folder where
the Python file SeqRecord.py lives, it becomes:

        >>> from Bio import SeqIO
        >>> record = SeqIO.read(open("../Tests/Fasta/sweetpea.nu"),"fasta")
        >>> len(record)
        309

I think a beginner would find that more confusing. It is also longer
and we already have trouble with some lines exceeding 80 chars.

Ideally there would be a nice way for doctests to specify the folder,
and then we could use a simple filename like "sweetpea.nu" with
no directories at all. But I don't think that is possible without us
making the testing infrastructure even more complicated.

--

If we want to get rid of Bio._utils.run_doctest() (and the whole of
the file Bio/_utils.py) then I would prefer reverting to the old situation

If the repetitive code snippets to run the doctests of a module are a
problem it can be shortened to something less flexible, for example
in Bio/SeqRecord.py could use something very short like this:

if __name__ == "__main__":
    assert os.path.isfile("Fasta/sweetpea.nu"), "Run from Tests/ folder"
    import doctest
    doctest.testmod(verbose=2)

Or, as I suggested before, we can remove these development
convenience hooks completely?

--

On the subject of the string functions in Bio/_utils.py, I have no
objection to moving them back under Bio.SearchIO and/or

Regards,