[Biopython-dev] Abstract for "Biopython Project Update" at BOSC 2013

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 9 13:36:27 UTC 2013

Hi all,

First a general reminder that the BOSC 2013 abstract deadline is
this coming Friday 12 April, http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/BOSC_2013

Second, we need to prepare an abstract for the traditional Biopython
Project update. Both Brad and I should be there for BOSC 2013,
and the preceding mini hackathon/codefest to which everyone is
welcome: http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/Codefest_2013

Who else is planning to be at BOSC 2013 (and the Codefest), and
is there anyone keen to present the update? I'm happy to give the
talk, but this is a nice chance for someone else to present and give
a more rounded impression of the Biopython developers ;)

According to http://biopython.org/wiki/Documentation#Presentations
the recent Biopython presenters at BOSC have been:

BOSC 2013, Berlin, Germany - ???
BOSC 2012, Long beach, USA - Eric
BOSC 2011, Vienna, Austria - Peter
BOSC 2010, Boston, USA - Brad
BOSC 2009, Stockholm, Sweden - Peter
BOSC 2008, Toronto, Canada - Tiago
BOSC 2007, Vienna, Austria - Peter
BOSC 2006, Fortaleza, Brazil - No one

So, any volunteers from our development team? I know from
personal experience that giving a talk can be very useful for
securing travel funding - and we can if need be ask the BOSC
committee to waive the registration fee (in a new initiative for this
year at BOSC).

Thanks,

Peter
(Disclaimer: I'm also on the BOSC committee)