[Biopython-dev] PEP8 lower case module names?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 30 11:03:07 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Brad Chapman <chapmanb at 50mail.com> wrote:

> Peter;
>
>> In the case of Bow's SearchIO code, what would you prefer?
>> e.g. Bio.SearchIO as it is now on his branch?
>
> I like plain ol' Search the best but don't have a strong preference. I'm
> terrible at naming things so trust everyone's judgment on this.
>
> Brad

Since we have no clear consensus, I propose we add Bow's code
as Bio.SearchIO (which is how it is written right now), with the new
BiopythonExperimentalWarning in place (to alert people that it may
change in the next release). We can then rename or move it at a
later date. This will make it easier for people to test the code, and
also suggest further changes or additions (e.g. Kai's HMMER work).

If we and when we agree a consolidation of the Bio.SeqXXX
modules, then Bio.SearchIO could move too. If this happens
before any public release as Bio.SearchIO so much the better.

Adopting lower case module names under Python 3 is also a
separate issue.