[Biopython-dev] Error in Bio.Entrez.__init__

Michiel de Hoon mjldehoon at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 29 14:33:12 UTC 2012

--- On Mon, 11/26/12, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> wrote:
> In general the NCBI identifiers are arbitrary strings,
> although perhaps the pubmed identifiers could be treated as
> integers.
> This is perhaps worth changing in the Bio.Entrez code...
>
> What do you think Michael?

If we change this in the Bio.Entrez code, we should put str(..) around all NCBI identifiers, not just the pubmed ones. Otherwise we'd have special treatment for one of the Entrez databases, which may cause problems in the future.
I'm OK if somebody else adds the calls to str(..), but I wouldn't champion it myself.

Best,
-Michiel.