[Biopython-dev] Python 2.5 support?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Sat May 19 12:02:35 UTC 2012

Hello all,

I'm curious how many of you (on the dev list) are still
using Python 2.5, and if the time has come to start
deprecating our support for it? One good reason
would be if it helps us with the Python 3 migration
(where currently we are restricted to a subset of
features available on or back ported to the older
Python releases).

Here at work, we are mostly using Python 2.6,
although the system default Python on many of
our servers is Python 2.4 (CentOS boxes). So
dropping Python 2.5 won't cause me personally
a problem.

A quick review of the main Linux distributions
and their current long term support platforms
might be prudent at this point.

One issue is Jython support, which has to date
targetted the  C python 2.5 feature set - their
new alpha release of Jython 2.7 now brings
with it some of the new functionality in C
Python 2.6 & 2.7, which is helpful.

Regards,