[Biopython-dev] MMCIF Parser

Lenna Peterson arklenna at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 22:21:25 UTC 2012

Hi João,

Thanks for bringing Glen into the discussion.

My code is in this github branch: https://github.com/lennax/biopython/tree/ply2

It requires PLY, which I haven't added to setup.py yet. Available
here: http://www.dabeaz.com/ply/

Currently the lex (tokenizer) portion runs fine (~30k lines in 3.6 sec
on my machine). But the yacc (parser) portion hangs on files over ~5k
lines - it's certainly running worse than linear. I'm trying to debug
the problem, but I'm also considering using the approach from the
current MMCIF2Dict module (which uses python to parse).

Re: your question about C, CIF is only moderately complex but I think
the issue is that the files tend to be very long. Lexical analysis can
be a computationally intensive process, so any improvements in
efficiency that C can offer are beneficial. However, I haven't done
any performance comparisons between C (flex/bison) and python (PLY).

But considering Jython etc. haven't implemented the C API yet, I'm
focusing on a pure python implementation.

Lenna