[Biopython-dev] [Biopython - Bug #3374] (New) Newick.Tree.randomized not working

redmine at redmine.open-bio.org redmine at redmine.open-bio.org
Wed Jul 18 14:52:24 UTC 2012

Issue #3374 has been reported by Aleksey Kladov.

Bug #3374: Newick.Tree.randomized not working
https://redmine.open-bio.org/issues/3374

Author: Aleksey Kladov

My code is

<pre>
from Bio.Phylo import BaseTree, Newick

t = Newick.Tree.randomized(5)
</pre>

It throws Exeption:

<pre>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/kladov/ab_lab/Rosalind/rosalind-problems/rosalind_problems/phyltree/__init__.py", line 55, in <module>
    t = Newick.Tree.randomized(5)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Bio/Phylo/BaseTree.py", line 725, in randomized
    terminals.extend(newterms)
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not iterable
</pre>

It looks like the problem is here(file BaseTree.py):

<pre>
newsplit = random.choice(terminals)
newterms = newsplit.split(branch_length=branch_length) #problem: split returns None...
if branch_stdev:
    # Add some noise to the branch lengths
    for nt in newterms:
    nt.branch_length = max(0,
        random.gauss(branch_length, branch_stdev))
terminals.remove(newsplit)
terminals.extend(newterms) # and now we try to extend with None =(
</pre>

I suppose that split not only should do actual split of a clade, but also return a list of two new clades.

You have received this notification because this email was added to the New Issue Alert plugin

To change your notification preferences, please click here and login: http://redmine.open-bio.org