[Biopython-dev] Biopython 1.59 plans

Brandon Invergo b.invergo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 17:17:19 UTC 2012

Hi Peter,

After getting bitten by some subtle output differences between different
versions of the PAML programs, I've been writing much stricter unit
tests for the parsing routines. I have the big one, codeml, done, so I
just have to do the output for the two smaller programs, baseml and
yn00.

So far, I've only had to change one line in a Bio.Phylo.PAML file to
accommodate a parsing mistake for the oldest supported codeml version.
It's related to a purely informational line in the output rather than to
any generated results. Combined, the insignificance of the changed line
and the extremely old software version that produces the difference mean
that this change in the code is not mission critical.

The testing code and the directory of PAML test resources is, however,
significantly different.

I can probably have the other two parts done by, say, Wednesday. The
question, though, is whether this is worth trying to pull in for
Biopython 1.59 or should I hold of on the pull request until after the
release?

Cheers,
Brandon