[Biopython-dev] Biopython 1.60 plans and beyond

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 18 19:11:11 UTC 2012

2012/2/18 Tiago Antão <tiagoantao at gmail.com>:
> 2012/2/18 Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com>:
>> We've sort of done that already in that we've said in the release
>> notes that whole modules are new and experimental (beta), and
>> subject to change. Are you thinking of more than that - e.g. an
>> import time warning?
>
> Did not know that (skipped a few things in the last few months, I am
> afraid). That is what I had in mind.

Actually, looking back, the NEWS file doesn't really say this.
Maybe I am thinking of some of the release announcements?

Anyway - I am OK with a clear warning up front in the NEWS
and accompanying release announcement email/post that a
new module Bio.XXX is considered to be in beta-testing and
that its API is subject to change. But I would hope this would
mean the module was still complete enough and stable
enough to be useful - and of course not going to impact
anything else in Biopython.

Do you think an import time warning on top of this would be
prudent? Power users can silence it with the warnings library.
That seems like a good way to increase visibility of somewhat
experimental code, while not giving false impressions of its
stability.