[Biopython-dev] Modifications to CircularDrawer

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 5 16:57:39 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 4:29 PM, David Martin <d.m.a.martin at dundee.ac.uk> wrote:
> Just got my head out of hacking at this. The options I have now are:
>
> label_position: start|middle|end with reference to the feature. So the end is
> always the pointy bit.

Sounds good and uncontentious.

> label_orientation: circular|upright  Sometimes it is nice to have a proper circular plot

I'd have to see the code or an example (and it seems any image attachment
will stall your emails for moderation - I'm a moderator but there is some time
delay before this gets that far).

> label_placement: inside|outside|overlap|strand which maintains overlap as
> default, inside is all inside, outside is all outside, strand is forward outside
> and reverse inside.

Perhaps below/above rather than inside/outside and then it could be done
to both the linear and circular drawers? Do you think this is useful then?

Note the current circular behaviour which overlaps is strand aware, so
those may not be the best names...

See also my earlier email with an alternative suggestion.

> It even works. Angles and so on are not so relevant with circular plots
> though I would prefer a label_angle: radial|tangent|[degrees]
>
> Should I attach an example?

You can try if the files are not overly larger (moderation delays will still
occur), posting a link would be easier although probably less lasting.

Are you OK with github? A natural option would be to show us your
proposals on a branch (separate commits if possible, otherwise I
can try and break out each bit if needed).

Ta,