[Biopython-dev] pull request: Handle MMCIF with multiple models (closes 2943)

Eric Talevich eric.talevich at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 18:20:16 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 1:56 PM, Lenna Peterson <arklenna at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:38 AM, Eric Talevich <eric.talevich at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Hi Eric,
>> >
>> > I believe I've implemented the model_id/serial_id system found in PDB:
>> >
>> > https://github.com/lennax/biopython/commit/b453a2968d18e157aac1f99f9f3cfeb4c09bc77d
>> >
>> > Please let me know if you think that looks right. I couldn't find an
>> > mmCIF file without a model column to test, but I believe in that case
>> > it will assign model_id and serial_id to 0. Would that be the correct
>> > behavior?
>> >
>> > I also modified the unit test to check the model serial_num.
>> > https://github.com/lennax/biopython/commit/b0443e788438b8ff72979c7a3bc0e531d4cd5cf6
>> >
>> > Currently serial_num is int() of the CIF model column. Regarding
>> > access by string serial_num, I am concerned that the int/string access
>> > would be too subtle (structure[0] == structure['1']; structure[1] ==
>> > structure['2']?). Perhaps an accessor function? i.e.
>> > structure.get_model('1')
>> >
>> > Let me know if you think I should write get_model() or something along
>> > those lines.
>> >
>> > Lenna
>>
>> I left another nitpick on b453a, but besides that it looks exactly right to me.
>>
>> The string/int distinction would indeed be weird, especially for newer
>> Python users coming from Perl or Javascript. I don't see a direct
>> analogue for get_model(serial_num) in the other Entities (Residue,
>> Chain, Model, Structure), so I'm inclined to put off the decision for
>> now (i.e. leave it out of this patch set).
>>
>> -Eric
>

> Eric,
>
> Okay, I've changed the bad model num generic warning to a
> PDBConstructionException.
>
> New pull request to get MMCIF to the same state as PDB:
> https://github.com/biopython/biopython/pull/36
>
> So are chains accessed by 0, 1, 2 or by A, B, C?
>
> Lenna

Cool, I just merged the pull request. Thanks!

As João said, chains are accessed by the letter ID via __getitem__
(implemented in Bio.PDB.Entity). You can get at them either way
through the child_list and child_dict attributes, too. Kind of a
thrill. I suppose we could eventually refactor the Entity-based
classes to use a single data structure (OrderedDict, namedtuple, numpy
array with named columns/rows?) in place of child_dict and child_list,
and clean up some of the redundant accessors.

-E