[Biopython-dev] Bio.Cluster.Tree -> Bio.Phylo

Eric Talevich eric.talevich at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 15:25:35 UTC 2012

Andrew,

It would be useful to have a quick and portable function for
distance-based tree estimation in Bio.Phylo, since otherwise it's
necessary to use one of the wrappers for external programs in
Bio.Phylo.Applications. (And currently, only PhyML is wrapped.) Does
the hierarchical clustering algorithm in Bio.Cluster correspond to any
common tree-estimation algorithm, e.g. UPGMA? If so, then it would
make a lot of sense to provide the glue for using it that way. If you
have done some work in this direction, I would be happy to see it.

-Eric