[Biopython-dev] Biograpy 1.0 beta released

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 11 14:12:19 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 8:02 PM, Andrea Pierleoni
<andrea at biocomp.unibo.it> wrote:

>> Adopt in the sense of include into Biopython.
>>

> well if you think it is worth it, biograpy can of course
> be included in biopython.

>>> Which one do you suggest?
>>> I could also use the biopython license, I don't need a strict control
>>> on the code, I just want the library to be used by everybody willing to,
>>> even closed source programs.
>>>

>> As I recall, Biopythin, NumPy, SciPy etc all use a very
>> Liberal MIT/BSD type licence, while LGPL tends to
>> scare commercial users ;)
>
> it's funny, since I choose the LGPL license not to scare
> commercial users :)

Well, its better than the GPL from that point of view ;)

> can you send me a link to the license so that I can include it in biograpy?
> thanks

The Biopython licence is just:
http://www.biopython.org/DIST/LICENSE

If in the medium/long term you'd like to consider incorporating
this into Biopython, then my recommendation is either use a
compatible licence now, or ensure you get copyright assignment
for all code contributions so that you can change the license later.

My worry is if you use LGPL and take third party author
contributions, then later wanted to change the license you'd
need to contact all those 3rd party authors to get their
permission.

Regards,