[Biopython-dev] Bio.File

Michiel de Hoon mjldehoon at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 19 02:39:53 UTC 2011

Hi Peter,

> That leaves Bio/SCOP/__init__.py as the only existing or
> imminent code using Bio.File, so if we can sort that out,
> we can deprecate Bio.File as you suggested.

In Bio/SCOP/__init__.py, Bio.File.UndoHandle is used in the _open function, which is an internal function used in the "search" function in Bio.SCOP. The UndoHandle is used to wrap a handle returned by urllib.urlopen.

This search function returns a handle to data in HTML format. I don't think we have a parser for it. This suggests that there is no specific purpose for UndoHandle in Bio.SCOP._open.

So I would suggest to just remove the UndoHandle from Bio.SCOP._open and return the urllib.urlopen handle directly.
Any objections?

--Michiel.