[Biopython-dev] NumPy dialog when Biopython installed from automated programs

Brad Chapman chapmanb at 50mail.com
Fri Oct 14 12:26:06 UTC 2011

Peter;
Thanks for testing this and helping with the merge

> $ jython setup.py install
> /Users/pjcock/jython2.5.2/Lib/distutils/dist.py:263: UserWarning:
> Unknown distribution option: 'install_requires'
>   warnings.warn(msg)
[...]
> Can we avoid that warning?

This is a warning from distutils, so you would also see this on regular
ol' Python without setuptools installed. Likewise it should go away on
jython or pypy if they have setuptools or distribute installed.

Unfortunately I don't have a way around it since this is an argument to
setup. Most modern installations should have setuptools and can take
advantage of install_requires.

If it's a problem we could use 'warnings' to ignore it.

Brad