[Biopython-dev] NumPy dialog when Biopython installed from automated programs

Brad Chapman chapmanb at 50mail.com
Thu Nov 17 12:00:01 UTC 2011

Peter and Eric;
I wanted to follow up about the patch to automate Biopython installs
from easy_install and pip when NumPu is not present:

https://github.com/chapmanb/biopython/commit/be53d850d721fc82af81bedcd9fb9034b0a2099b

You'd both reviewed it, and the only holdup was a warning message when
setuptools is not installed:

> $ jython setup.py install
> /Users/pjcock/jython2.5.2/Lib/distutils/dist.py:263: UserWarning:
> Unknown distribution option: 'install_requires'
>   warnings.warn(msg)

We'd discussed some other options like including setuptools and
installing it, ignoring the warning, or ignoring it since it is not
problematic.

My lazy side says ignoring it is fine, but if you want to explicitly
turn it off we can use this around the setup call:

with warnings.catch_warnings():
    warnings.simplefilter("ignore")

Happy to handle it however you prefer but I'd love to get this in,
Brad