[Biopython-dev] [Biopython - Feature #3236] (New) Make Biopython work in PyPy 1.5

redmine at redmine.open-bio.org redmine at redmine.open-bio.org
Tue May 24 16:13:11 UTC 2011

Issue #3236 has been reported by Eric Talevich.

Feature #3236: Make Biopython work in PyPy 1.5
https://redmine.open-bio.org/issues/3236

Author: Eric Talevich

PyPy is now roughly as production-ready as Jython:
http://morepypy.blogspot.com/2011/04/pypy-15-released-catching-up.html

Let's make Biopython work on PyPy 1.5.

To make the pure-Python core of Biopython work, I did this:

* Download and unpack the pre-compiled Linux tarball from pypy.org
* Copy the header file @marshal.h@ from the CPython 2.X installation into the @pypy-c-.../include/@ directory
* pypy setup.py build; pypy setup.py install
* Delete pypy-c-.../site-packages/Bio/cpairwise2*.so

Benchmarking a script that leans heavily on Bio.pairwise2, I see about a 2x speedup between Pypy 1.5 and CPython 2.6 -- yes, that's with the compiled C extension @cpairwise2@ in the CPython 2.6 installation.

Numpy isn't available on PyPy yet, and it may be some time before it does.

Observations from @pypy setup.py test@:

* test_BioSQL triggers tons of RuntimeWarnings related to sqlite3 functions
* test_BioSQL_SeqIO fails -- attempts to retrieve P01892 instead of Q29899 (?)
* test_Restriction triggers a TypeError, somehow (also causing test_CAPS to err)
* test_Entrez fails with many noisy errors -- looks related to expat, may be just my installation
* importing @Bio.trie@ fails, probably due to a @marshal.h@ issue with compilation

You have received this notification because this email was added to the New Issue Alert plugin

To change your notification preferences, please click here and login: http://redmine.open-bio.org