[Biopython-dev] SNP data into Biopython

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed May 18 19:13:50 UTC 2011

2011/5/18 Tiago Antão <tiagoantao at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Sebastian Bassi
> <sbassi at clubdelarazon.org> wrote:
>> I wonder if would be OK to create a parser for SNP data provided by
>> 23andme for Biopython. I could use https://github.com/ngopal/23andMe
>> as a base.
>> What do you think?

Double check with the original author about reusing his code,
but that could be good. Maybe under Bio/SNP/23andme.py
where the Bio.SNP namespace could be extended in future?

> Are you thinking in also using the sql part of that code? I actually
> use a similar strategy in my project to parse HapMap data
> (interPopula). I just wonder what other people would think about
> having SQL code outside Bio.SQL? I personally have no feelings about
> it, but I thought I should raise the issue...

Tiago - Do you mean the BioSQL module (no dot)? That is
specifically for the BioSQL.org schema, and there are other
things under Bio.* which use SQL.