[Biopython-dev] Windows buildslave back online

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 27 12:17:41 UTC 2011

2011/7/27 Tiago Antão <tiagoantao at gmail.com>:
> 2011/7/27 Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com>:
>> Can you make it conditional on Windows?
>
> Silly me, just forgot all other platforms. Furthermore, the 32-bit
> compiler in Windows is VS? Because if it is mingw then something extra
> is needed.
> I will work on a new git fork to change the setup.py only to
> accomodate windows 64.
>
> Tiago

Actually we (well - my Windows machine since that is the one
that has done all the recent releases) are using a mixture
depending on the version of Python.

According to my old email from Dec 2010, since I don't have
the machine in front of me right now:
>> We're using mingw32 from Cygwin on older versions of Python,
>> and I think Python 2.6 onwards I'm using Microsoft’s free VC++
>> 2008 Express Edition which was downloaded from
>> http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/

See: http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/biopython-dev/2010-December/008582.html

It would be worth asking anyone else on the dev list who has
previously compiled and built installers on Windows (e.g. Michael)
to also test any changes.

I might on day be able to setup a 64bit Windows virtual machine,
but right now I don't have time and it would require finding the
right person in IT for the install media and licence etc.