[Biopython-dev] Willing to Contribute to Biopython

Brad Chapman chapmanb at 50mail.com
Wed Jul 20 16:00:28 UTC 2011

Venki;

> I am very interested in contributing to BioPython. I would highly appreciate
> if you could help me get started. Thanks in Advance.

Welcome, we're very happy to have you interested. The best way to
get started is to begin using Biopython for your projects of
interest and then contribute back documentation about how to do
useful tasks. The Cookbook page is a great example of useful parts
contributed by users:

http://biopython.org/wiki/Category:Cookbook

As you begin doing this and get more familiar with Biopython, you'll
likely run into areas where additional libraries might be useful. At
that point feel free to suggest potential new libraries and ideas to
the list; or get started coded and ask for feedback on what you've
written.

An alternative approach to getting started is to look at the Issue
tracker and pick some problems of interest:

https://redmine.open-bio.org/projects/biopython

Thanks again for the message and interest,
Brad