[Biopython-dev] pypaml

Brandon Invergo b.invergo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 14:11:44 UTC 2011

> You can of course define properties, setters, getters etc without using
> decorators (this is what we do in Biopython).

That's how I had it before. I decided to switch over to new-style
classes and in reading up on that topic I came across the decorators
and I became a bit excited to implement them. They're certainly not
necessary, as you say.

> By the way, have you ever tried using this under Windows?

I haven't yet but by the looks of it it should work fine assuming the
programs are in the system path and thus can be called by name from
any location in the file system. I see one line where I accidentally
made it *nix-specific (default working directory is "./") but other
than that, all files/directories are located via os.path or by
user-inputted strings (as they would be in the control file). I have
both a Linux and a Windows 7 machine at home though so I can do some
testing. Obviously the unit tests here will help catch system-specific
errors such as entering file locations incorrectly (I can see a few
exceptions that I'm currently not handling).

Once I make a couple of the core changes, I'll send a message to the
main Biopython list to get some people to try it out and to let me
know how it works (esp. re: version numbers and parsing) as well as to
indicate if I currently don't support something they want to do.

Regards,
Brandon