[Biopython-dev] Proposal: almost finished.

Brad Chapman chapmanb at 50mail.com
Fri Apr 8 10:45:41 UTC 2011

Maxi;
(cc'ing the Biopython mailing list for suggestions)

Thanks for this; it's looking really good. Some last minute
thoughts:

- The About Me section needs a link to code you've written. I
  couldn't find anything substantial i nthe Pep8fy or Cdpedia
  projects, so if you've contributed something large there please
  highlight it. Otherwise you should upload some code to bitbucket
  to demonstrate work you've done. This will be the first thing
  evaluators look at.

- You should renumber your weeks so week 1 is the start of the
  coding period; you should keep the prep weeks as that is really
  useful information, but just mark them generally as the community
  bonding period.

- When the coding period starts you should start, well, coding. So
  the specification/design work you have in weeks 5 and 6 should be
  moved to the community bonding/prep period, and code writing
  should begin on May 23rd.

- You mention unit testing, but should go into specifics about what
  you plan to test. This demonstrates that you've thought about
  potential issues and how to avoid them.

- The purpose of GSoC is open source code and integration with
  existing projects. So some of the late items (week 14/Make it
  freely available on the internet; week 17/integration of the
  library to Biopython) should be happening from week 1. The
  code should be freely available in an open source repository the
  entire time, and you should be talking with the Biopython
  community throughout. I'd suggest emphasizing those points in your
  text, and adding in work/tests/documentation for those weeks.

Don't forget that this needs to be submitted to the GSoC website by
the deadline:

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2011

Google can only evaluate proposals that are entered there. Thanks
again for the work getting this together,
Brad