[Biopython-dev] Developing for the BioPython project...

Eric Talevich eric.talevich at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 23:05:24 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Steve Moss <gawbul at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've just started a PhD centring around evolutionary comparative genomics,
> and will be focusing on bioinformatics and computational biology
> methodology.
>
> I'm really keen to use Python and BioPython in particular throughout my PhD
> and would like to contribute any code I can to aid in promoting BioPython
> as
> viable alternative to BioPerl, which I feel has a larger user
> base currently? Is there any particular process of registration to become
> involved with development, or is it just a case of fork'ing the repository
> from github?

Hi Steve,

If you've joined the biopython-dev mailing list, you're in the club. Feel
free to fork away!

To get a feel for where development is focused right now, you can look at
our wiki page for active projects:
http://biopython.org/wiki/Active_projects

We're also collectively working on Python 3 compatibility (C extensions
still need some work), though that isn't listed.

Since you're a new grad student, you might have some leeway to get involved
with Google Summer of Code next summer. The project ideas for Biopython,
Open Bio, and NESCent drummed up last year are still worth doing, or might
inspire you do do something else on your own:
http://biopython.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code
http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code
https://www.nescent.org/wg_phyloinformatics/Phyloinformatics_Summer_of_Code_2010

Cheers,