[Biopython-dev] 5/6 BioStar - Biopython Questions

Feed My Inbox updates at feedmyinbox.com
Thu May 6 06:08:34 UTC 2010

1. Simple Fasta Parsing Is Not Simple.
May 5, 2010 at 6:25 PM

When trying out the examples from chapter 2.3 of the biopython 1.54b tutorial I keep running into this very annoying problem: When I use:

from Bio import SeqIO

for seq_record in SeqIO.parse("ls_orchid.fasta", "fasta"):

    print seq_record.id
    print repr(seq_record.seq)
    print len(seq_record)

The Python interpreter tells me I should use a handle in stead of filenames. I use biopython 1.53 and not 1.54b for which this tutorial was meant. I can't find an older archived version of the tutorial I could use to help me learn how to use a handle in stead of the simple filename method (ls_orchid.fasta in this case.). I know that in older versions of biopython you have to do everything in handlers but not in the newer versions.

The new tutorial now on-line has an obscure last chapter on how to use handlers but that's hardly helpfull.

I think the tutorial is great, I just havent got the right version installed. I use Ubuntu and downloaded biopython via ubuntu software center.

Can anyone help me use a handler and get the above parsing example working in 1.53?

Thank you,

http://biostar.stackexchange.com/questions/969/simple-fasta-parsing-is-not-simple

2. How do I create a SeqRecord in biopython?
May 5, 2010 at 6:25 PM

id1  ="HWI-EAS380:8:1:16:830/1"

seq1 ="AGGGCGTTCAGCAGCCAGCTTGCGGCAAAACTGCGTAACCGTCTTCTCGTTCTCT
       AAAAACCATTTTTCGTCCCCTTCGGGGCGGTGGTCTATAGTGTTATTAATATCAA
       GTTGGGGGAGCACATTGTAGCATTG"

qual1="abbbbbaab`abaabbaabaaaab^E^``^aaabaa_\_abaaaaaaaa`aaaa`
       Z^`^^aaaaaaa`aa^aaa``_aa_aaaaaaaaaaa`aaaa`aaaaaabaaabba
       aaaaaaaaaaa_baaaabbbbbaba"

assume these are fastq-illumina quality scores and the sequence is unambiguous dna

I want to create a SeqRecord object from this. Thanks.

http://biostar.stackexchange.com/questions/967/how-do-i-create-a-seqrecord-in-biopython