[Biopython-dev] GEO database and bio-python

Nicolas Rapin nicolas.rapin at bric.ku.dk
Thu Mar 25 11:58:53 UTC 2010

Dear all,

I just started python, and use biopython quite a lot lately. It's a nice package, and is very convenient. Oh, and I m also new on the mailing list...

I  need to get access to a lot of data from GEO, and i noticed that it might be a good idea to have the database locally, which lead me to write  a little class that can download  the compressed files  form ncbi (the GSE/GPLxxx_family.tgz files) , and parse the MINimL sort of xml they have in there together with the actual data that is in the compressed files. In the end i have a nicely organized hdf5 file, that i can use to do data mining.

I wondered if that was for Biopython.

If yes, how do I contribute ?

best,

Nico