[Biopython-dev] Running unit tests on non-English OS

Konstantin Okonechnikov k.okonechnikov at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 17:55:30 UTC 2010

Peter,
I have built and run the latest code from git on Russian Ubuntu 10.4.
Entrez tests have failed. Muscle, clustal and emboss tests have been skipped
successfully.
The tests have been executed from build.py script and I am not sure how to
generate test report. Redirecting the script output to file didn't help.

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 5:21 AM, Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk>wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 11:28 AM, Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk>
> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > From some unit test output posted by Manabu Ishii via Twitter I
> > think the test suite is having problems checking for external tools
> > on non-English operating systems (e.g. Debian in Japanese):
> > http://d.hatena.ne.jp/manabou/20100619
> > http://twitter.com/manabou
> >
> > I've tried to update a few to do a better job (test_Muscle_tool.py,
> > test_Clustalw_tool.py and test_Emboss.py), but what I really need
> > is someone to run the test suite on a non English system - ideally
> > without all these command line tools installed. The tests should
> > notice when the tool is missing, and be skipped without errors.
> >
> > Could anyone with a non-English OS try running the latest code
> > from git (or even the latest release) to see if you get similar
> > problems?
>
> I've also included an idea from Manabu Ishii to set environment
> variable LANG=C to get the default of USA English. This should
> work on Linux etc, and is probably harmless on Windows.
>
> Again, testing would be most welcome (any non-English OS),
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter

Best regards,
        Konstantin