[Biopython-dev] RNA Alphabet: request for comments

Kristian Rother krother at rubor.de
Wed Jun 16 09:03:37 UTC 2010

Hi Peter,

> Why do you need the  _set_sequence method? Why not just put that
> small piece of code inside the __init__ method?

In _set_sequence there'll be a small parser taking care of modifications
where the one-letter abbreviations do not suffice. E.g. a sequence could
be

"CCC022UCCC"

(22U is a 5-hydroxyuridine).

--> being parsed into a list of RNAAlphabetEntries

So the code will grow a little, but the basic idea stays the same.

If someone wants a one-letter representation, it could be "CCCxCCC", but
this is degenerate because 'x' is used for several modifications.

Best Regards,
   Kristian