[Biopython-dev] Storing Bio.SeqIO.index() offsets in SQLite

Laurent lgautier at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 12:28:20 UTC 2010

What about having a class instance instead ? This would let one change
the index storage system very easily.

For example, to use a dictionary:

Bio.SeqIO.index(keyval_map = dict() )

A minimal requirement for the instance 'keyval_map' passed would be to
implement the methods __getitem__(self, key) and __setitem__(self, key,
value), allowing the "duck typing" approach commonly found in Python.

An SQLite-based index would be a matter of having a class such as:

class KeyValSQLite(object):
   def __init__(self, filename):
       # create the database into file "filename"
       pass

   def __getitem__(self, key):
       """ return the value """
       # select whatever in something where key='<key>'...
       pass

   def __setitem__(self, key, value):
       # update...
       pass

The this would be a call like:

Bio.SeqIO.index(keyval_map = KeyValSQLite("myindex.db"))

Now that you have the idea, getting a custom index based on BDB or
anything should be a breeze...

L.