[Biopython-dev] RNA alphabets; was Bio.PDB enhancements

Kristian Rother krother at rubor.de
Wed Jun 2 12:21:43 UTC 2010

Hi Peter,

I'm afraid the matter is more complicated. To date, we have 115 modified
RNA bases, which means in practice that you run out of nice ASCII
characters. Moreover, some people use one-letter symbols in RNA as
wildcards (R for purine, Y for pyrimidine). As a consequence, several sets
of abbreviations have been developed - see
http://modomics.genesilico.pl/modification_list to get an impression.

We've written for our own purposes a class containing different ways of
nomenclature, but I think its incompatible to Bio.Alphabet - but I'd like
to change that.

Best Regards,
   Kristian