[Biopython-dev] Documentation

Vince S. Buffalo vsbuffalo at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 04:00:42 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I've started the conversion process with the file Bio/SeqIO/__init__.py. A
few questions came up.

First, are docstrings (with the autodoc extension) going to be the primary
form of documentation, or are we going to copy/paste them into a separate
documentation tree? I believe the latter is what Python and Django do, and
may give us freedom to target different audiences with docstrings and the
separate documentation. Also, after some Googling about autodoc, it seems
complex.

Also, has a branch been created on github?

At this point, I'll continuing going through the "robotic" steps of
converting epydoc formatting to ReST. Given my youthfulness working on this
project, I'll try to keep you guys well updated. Preemptive apologies for
future questions :-)

Also, to test ReST + Sphinx on one section, I ran Sphinx on a copy/pasted
docstring. I have to say, Sphinx is beautiful: http://imgur.com/4gNok

best,
Vince