[Biopython-dev] Encouraging use of Stack Overflow for questions

Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio dalloliogm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 13:41:24 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Brad Chapman <chapmanb at 50mail.com> wrote:

> Giovanni;
> Thanks for the feedback on this. We've had a few positive responses
> and I think it's something that would be low effort to experiment with.
> I'm open to whether we do this on the main StackOverflow site,
> Nick's dedicated suggested site, or Blue Obelisk. The main criteria
> is that we are likely to have the website be freely available (and
> around) in the future.

Thanks to you for the proposal..

> There are resources we could use to redirect the feed to Twitter:
>
> http://twitterfeed.com/
>
> and the mailing list:
>
> http://www.feedmyinbox.com/

So, what if we use this to automatically send a notification to the
biopython mailing list?
The amount of traffic increased would be low, in the last three months there
have only been 3 messages  on biopython in StackOverflow.
With an automatical notification, these questions may receive an answer a
lot more quickly.
When the traffic on StackOverflow grows too much, we can just inactivate the
forwarding so it won't disturb the mailing list.

--
Giovanni Dall'Olio, phd student
Department of Biologia Evolutiva at CEXS-UPF (Barcelona, Spain)

My blog on bioinformatics: http://bioinfoblog.it