[Biopython-dev] Biopython-dev Digest, Vol 84, Issue 14

Istvan Albert istvan.albert at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 18:02:23 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 12:00 PM,
<biopython-dev-request at lists.open-bio.org> wrote:

> It looks like there are a couple of Stack Exchange sites with
> similar aims for open source bioinformatics and chemistry:
>
> http://biostar.stackexchange.com/
> http://blueobelisk.stackexchange.com/

I am actually the original creator of
http://biostar.stackexchange.com/ Created mainly to give my students a
way to easily ask questions.

Two things to keep in mind

- it will cost money to run it, right now it is free due to it being in beta
- it is not obvious that this service will actually be offered once
beta concludes, or that it will be offered with the same conditions.
That is pretty much what keeps me from investing more time into it.
- making it a site like this only for biopython is too restrictive

Other comments on using the stackoverflow main site: I think due to
the site's focus being so generic programming I think most people
looking for bioinformatics related information could easily get lost
or not feel a connection.

IMO the idea is fantastic, but it needs its own forum rather than
being a small subset of a unrelated topics.

best,

Istvan

--
Istvan Albert