[Biopython-dev] Handles and/or filenames in Bio.SeqIO etc?

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Feb 23 11:31:35 UTC 2010

Hi all,

As mentioned in another thread, Brad, Michiel and I had
an informal meeting earlier this month in Tokyo and
discussed some plans for Biopython. One of the short
term changes we agreed on was to push ahead with
the Seq object equality changes, see:
http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/biopython-dev/2010-February/007351.html

Another short term change we agreed was worthwhile
was to follow other Python libraries and allow handles
OR filenames in our parsers (starting with SeqIO and
AlignIO). This follows the discussion for the "TreeIO"
module (since renamed) and the Bio.SeqIO.convert
functions here on the mailing list last year, see:
http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/biopython-dev/2009-July/006503.html

I will tackle this shortly for Bio.SeqIO and Bio.AlignIO.