[Biopython-dev] KEGG support

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Feb 11 01:15:21 UTC 2010

Renato Alves <rjalves at igc.gulbenkian.pt> wrote:
>> Regarding some of Giovanni's points, modularising the distribution
>> of Biopython (which can already be considered to be a core plus
>> assorted domain-specific modules like Bio.PDB, Bio.Cluster,
>> Bio.Graphics and so on) seems premature to me give the current
>> state of python distribution.
>
> Could you elaborate a little on what you mean by 'current state of
> python...'. Are you referring to the python3 transition?

I didn't mean anything about Python 3 here. Just the current state
of python package management, with distutils vs setuptools,
easy_install, Distribute, etc. I'm am looking forward to an official
Python successor to distutils one day which will properly handle
dependencies (and hopefully uninstallation) nicely. However, for
now, a single monolithic Biopython released several times a
year works fine and I see no reason to change that.