[Biopython-dev] 64 bit machines and testing

Tiago Antão tiagoantao at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 13:50:53 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I am here setting up a couple of Windows 7 64 bit test instances. I am
wondering about the status of 64 bit (bio)python.
As far as I can see, most binaries supplied (e.g. numpy or matplotlib)
are for 32 bit versions. Therefore I suppose it is fair to assume that
people are mostly using 32bit Python even on 64bit windows boxes?
There is this set of 64 bit libs from Christoph Gohlke @
http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/ but I would imagine, that
as they are not offered on the default download sites, they would be
somewhat minority in terms of usage?

All in all, I have a 64 bit Windows 7 machine and I am trying to
decide what stuff to install (32 or 64) for integration testing.
I am currently inclined to have a mix for starters: a 2.6 32bit and a
2.7 64 bit. This would give a minimum cover of both W7 AND 64 bit.

Comments appreciated...
Tiago
--
"If you want to get laid, go to college.  If you want an education, go
to the library." - Frank Zappa