[Biopython-dev] Bio.trie

Michiel de Hoon mjldehoon at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 26 05:08:32 UTC 2010

Hi everybody,

I have now updated all C extensions to be ready for Python 3, except for Bio.trie. This module would need some significant work due to changes in the buffer protocol in Python 3. However, I am wondering if many people are using this module: It is not documented and seems to be more relevant for pure computer science than for bioinformatics, and as far as I can tell no other Biopython modules rely on Bio.trie. So I am thinking to ask on the user list of there are any users, and if not, start the deprecation process for it rather than to update it. Any objections? If anybody is particularly interested in this module, any contribution to updating Bio.trie for Python 3 would be most welcome.

--Michiel.