[Biopython-dev] Updating C extensions to Python 3

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Dec 25 11:24:08 UTC 2010

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 3:20 AM, Michiel de Hoon <mjldehoon at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I looked at what will be needed to make Biopython's C extensions
>> ready for Python 3. It doesn't seem too bad, so if there are no
>> objections then I will go ahead and make the necessary changes
>> over the next two weeks or so. If you are maintaining one of the
>> C extensions and would like to make the required changes yourself,
>> please let us know, then I won't touch those modules.
>>
>> Best,
>> --Michiel.
>
> Excellent news :)

Hi Michiel,

I see you've started work on the C extensions for Python 3,
which is great news.

However, it looks like Python 2.4 and 2.5 have broken
(on both Linux and Windows, probably on Mac too but
that build slave is off at the minute):
http://events.open-bio.org:8010/tgrid

If you can fix Python 2.5 but not Python 2.4, don't
worry - we've said Biopython 1.57 won't officially
support Python 2.4 anyway.

There also appears to be a Python 2.7 problem on
Windows:
http://events.open-bio.org:8010/builders/Windows%20XP%20-%20Python%202.7/builds/63/steps/compile/logs/warnings%20%2810%29
http://events.open-bio.org:8010/builders/Windows%20XP%20-%20Python%202.7/builds/63/steps/compile/logs/stdio