[Biopython-dev] Features of the GSOC branch ready to be merged

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Dec 16 11:32:57 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 11:20 AM, João Rodrigues <anaryin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Peter,
>
> I also noticed that last night. In fact what happened was that some changes
> were actually done months apart (e.g. the hetatm_flag) but my git just
> "reset" all commits to the date I created the branch...
>
> I'd actually love to do some sort of "commit" cleaning but I don't know how
> to do that...

Well, once a series of commits are published on github, it possible
but really not a good idea to change them (rewrite history).

One simple way to convert a branch into a single commit is to
do the merge with the squash option (I've not tried this yet I
confess). Something like this:

git checkout my_stuff
git rebase master
(make sure it is all fine)
git checkout master
git diff my_stuff
(make sure the changes look sane)
git merge --squash my_stuff
(make sure the changes look sane)
git push origin master

Another useful trick is doing a diff between branches, saving it
to a patch, then applying the patch. It depends what you are
aiming to do.